|Institute of Molecular Life Sciences
University of Zurich
Phone: +41 44 63 53148
- 2015-current SNSF Doctoral Candidate — University of Zurich (CH) & ZHAW (CH)
- 2014-2015 Research Assistant — Basler Laboratory — University of Zurich (CH)
- 2012-2014 MSc in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics — ETH Zurich (CH)
- 2008-2011 BSc in Industrial and Environmental Biotechnologies — University of Milan (IT)
My studies emphasised statistical models applied in computational biology problems, dynamics of molecular evolution under both clinical and ecological predictive prospectives as well as functional genomics, spatiotemporal modelling and simulation of biological systems.
I developed algorithms for image processing, statistic evaluation of analysis results, increasing code performance, data scalability, execution reliability and results reproducibility. I have been involved in developing in the fields of spatial statistics, computer vision and artificial intelligence. I am also interested in software engineering, code profiling, and performance optimisation.
In the research group of Maria Anisimova, I focused my research interested on finding new methods and algorithms for joint multiple sequence alignments and phylogeny estimations. Together with Massimo Maiolo, I am involved in the project Fast joint estimation of alignment and phylogeny from genomics sequences in a frequentist framework.
In the research group of Christian von Mering, I am currently studying the evolutionary molecular and epidemiological dynamics of viral diseases affecting the human population on a global scale.
My website can be found here: www.lorenzogatti.me
- Lorenzo Gatti, Jitao David Zhang, Maria Anisimova, Martin Schutten, Albert Osterhaus, Erhard van der Vries (2017). Cross-reactive immunity drives global oscillation and opposed alternation patterns of seasonal influenza A viruses. bioRxiv 226613. https://doi.org/10.1101/226613
- Davide Heller, Andreas Hoppe, Simon Restrepo, Lorenzo Gatti, Alexander L. Tournier, Nicolas Tapon, Konrad Basler, and Yanlan Mao (2016). EpiTools: An Open-Source Image Analysis Toolkit for Quantifying Epithelial Growth Dynamics. Developmental Cell 36 (1) (January): 103–116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.devcel.2015.12.012
- SIB members, including: Gatti, Lorenzo (2015). The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics’ resources: focus on curated databases. In: Nucleic Acids Research. Oxford: Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkv1310